After hijacking a space on EMSNOW’s homepage while I guest edited the publication, their esteemed editor, Jennifer Read, has kindly allowed me back on a weekly basis to share some of what I am watching, reading and even listening to. So, here’s a few things I’ve enjoyed this week, some of which you will see among my regular posts on LinkedIn.
- Will Foxconn founder Terry Gou run for President of Taiwan? Will Apple move production from China and if they do, where will it end up? Thanks to the challenges of tariffs and trade wars, there seem to be more questions than answers right now. According to Bloomberg, the billionaire founder of Apple Inc.’s largest supplier asked the U.S. company to move from China to neighboring Taiwan.
- Meanwhile, The South China Moring Post reports, Foxconn denies speculation about exiting mainland China amid uncertainty from trade war.
- Another major news story this week is the release of Libra, Facebook’s very own cryptocurrency. In his column on TechCrunch, Josh Constine, offer you everything you need to know about this new currency, about Libra Association and about their new spinoff Calibra.
- This week we celebrate International Women in Engineering Day. A day marked by the UK based group, Women’s Engineering Society (WES), who are also celebrating their 100thyear. Check out this blog from Jacqueline Black, Director of Strategic Alliances, US Jobs, Consumer Technology Association, entitled “ ”, with shout-outs to accomplished engineers, like Ginni Rometty, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, IBM, Karen Casella, Director of Engineering, Netflix, and Caitlin Kalinowski, Head of Hardware, Oculus. I am sure we all have a few we could add to that list. I know I do!
- And there are more Big Bucks For 3-D Printing: 3-D Printing Unicorn Carbon Raises Another $260 Million At Valuation Of $2.4 Billion, according to this excellent piece from Forbes Staff Writer, Amy Feldman.
VIDEO OF THE WEEK: If you didn’t see The Eric Miscoll Show (the EMS), when it first aired after APEX, or when it ran on EMSNOW last week, it’s definitely worth a view. I know Eric will be doing more of these at SMTAi and Productronica, and I personally can’t wait!
PODCAST OF THE WEEK:With a nod to International Women in Engineering Day, have a listen to the #womenintech Podcast, hosted by WeAreLATech’s Espree Devora and features inspiring Women in Tech from Engineers, Female Founders, Investors, UX and UI Designers, Journalists all sharing their story how they got to where they are today. Espree says, “The purpose of the show is for every listener to walk away feeling ‘If She Can Do It So Can I’. I call it actionable empowerment.”
Read more, watch more, hear more, know more – that’s the SCOOP!