- Industry-leading ODB++ data exchange format extended to the ODB++ family for a complete end-to-end digital solution covering design, process and manufacturing information flows
- The new ODB++Process format completes the full solution of open formats for the entire digital thread to help customers achieve fast and reliable new product introductions with a complete dataset for machine programming
- A complete digital twin of the electronics manufacturing flow (product, process, and performance), helps customers realize their latest Smart Factory or Industry 4.0 initiatives with confidence and efficiency
Siemens today announced the expansion of its industry-leading ODB++™ language intelligent, single data-structure for transferring PCB designs into fabrication, assembly and test with a unified electronics manufacturing solution of open data formats for the entire digital thread. With over 50,000 worldwide ODB++ users, rebranded as ODB++-Design, ODB++Process, ODB++Manufacturing and grouped under the ODB++ umbrella, Siemens‘ newest data exchange format, ODB++Process (previously known as OPM), helps enable the open exchange of
process engineering information between disparate machines, software vendors, and stand-alone processes, helping accelerate new product introductions (NPIs) and first-time-right manufacturing. This is unique to the industry as no other standards body or solution provider offers a data exhange format for this capability.
This free and proven data exchange solution helps users to easily transfer machine programs from one machine type to another, such as a target machine from a different vendor or a machine on a different platform. ODB++Process format Siemens AG provides the open exchange of process engineering information which then converts the data for immediate use on any production machine or workstation. “By using a single assembly format file output like ODB++Process, which standardizes machine package library’s with vShapes across the entire production
line, Koh Young is able to minimize program variations between machines like inspection and mounters,” said Mr. JD Shin, Chief Sales Office for Koh Young Technology. “The enhanced approach to programming reduces human error and variation and significantly reduces the NPI programming cycle time. What’s more, the single file assembly format output like ODB++Process is machine agnostic and easily enables moving production assembly data and process requirements between lines – and more importantly factories across the world.”
Thus, with ODB++Design supporting full product design data representation, and ODB++Manufacturing (previously known as OML) neutralizing machines‘ shop floor data, the ODB++Process now completes the open design-through-manufacturing digital thread for electronics. Each of these intelligent data exchange modules is designed to be neutral and open, supporting all SMT machine vendors (placement, inspection, test and soldering) and all EDA software providers. With a complete digital twin of the electronics manufacturing flow (product, process, and performance), customers can realize their latest Smart Factory or Industry 4.0 initiatives with confidence and efficiency. These data exchange format solutions deliver the complete digital twin of the electronics manufacturing information flow:
- ODB++Design: Full product design data representation, created by design tools, used for design for manufacturing, fabrication, test and assembly
analysis (DFx), as well as being the single carrier of design data to electronics assembly and fabrication.
- ODB++Process: The format into which the design data is prepared and converted ready for use at any production machine or workstation.
- ODB++Manufacturing: The specification for all shop-floor events, bidirectionally between machines, and between machines and Smart Industry 4.0 software solutions.
“Siemens is an active member of the IPC and we will continue to invest in our own data exchange formats to ensure that quality and resources are available to the global community,” stated Dan Hoz, general manager, Valor Division of Siemens Digital Industries Software. “Our focus on multi-domain digitalization solutions will continue to be a critical advantage to our customers so they can manufacture innovative products with minimal risk and faster time to profit.” The ODB++ family of formats are supported by an active community, via an open,
inclusive partnering program, free of charge and without membership fees. To access these formats, visit www.odbplusplus.com.
Siemens Digital Industries Software is driving transformation to enable a digital enterprise where engineering, manufacturing and electronics design meet tomorrow.
Our solutions help companies of all sizes create and leverage digital twins that provide organizations with new insights, opportunities and levels of automation to drive innovation. For more information on Siemens Digital Industries Software products and services, visit www.sw.siemens.com or follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Siemens Digital Industries Software – Where today meets tomorrow.